MUSICAL REVIEW: Shrek The Musical

Shrek The Musical 

The Royal Drury Lane Theatre, 

Watching Shrek as a child was one of my favourite experiences because with it had so many amazing scenes, so when I found out that it was still running in London whilst we were on our residential, I skipped at the chance to go and see it, and it was so worth it. The theatre itself is so nice and the seats were really comfortable. As the theatre is right next to the royal opera house, it was also really easy to navigate to so that I had some time to look down the streets and markets before the show started. 

The show itself was so brilliant, it was really colourful and bright, the cast were superb and had myself laughing alot, especially when Lord Farquaads scenes were on stage. Talking of the stage and setting, it was just so realistic and glossy, where the scene changed were also really slick and quick. 

There were also little things throughout the show that made me really smile, such as, 

- The appearance of a certain cat in boots and hat 

- The strange use of Les Mis in the show, from Farquaad singing a few verses of I Dreamed A Dream & the flag waving with a picture of a boy, imaged around little Cosette used for the posters. 

The music was fantastic, with use of happy and sad,and was really sung so well by all involved. What I think was brilliant was how much they stuck to the story, and a bit that really sticks out is at the end were the plack cards come out of the side of the stage and say 'laugh', which happens in the movie at the wedding scene, and also when the fairytale creatures then there boards around and it spells out 'ahhh'. 

Finally, in the film we know that at the end the dragon breaks through the window glass at the wedding, and this was something I was wondering how they would manage it, and it was shocked me as what I saw was a massive dragon swooping down from the top of the theatre right down to the bottom, and I was very amazed at how well it was executed.

Overall, Shrek is a great show that brought back a lot of memories from watching the film as a child.

Comments